Saturday, July 14, 2012

Starting July with a BANG

Unfortunately I can't say the BANG I'm referencing is a firework, or even anything good for that matter... Little Miss D took a tumble yesterday at Target... (A little background first-While her behavior has certainly gotten better, she has been really testing the waters lately with the word 'no'. Or when given a directive, she does the opposite to see what kind of reaction it will cause. So back to Target...) Haddie was in her car seat in the front of the cart and Danika had the option to walk by me or sit in the 'big' part. She chose to sit. All was fine and dandy until she decided she wanted to stand up. I ask her to sit down. She said no. I stopped the cart and she sat down. 5 seconds later she stood up. I asked her to sit down. She said no (notice a pattern?!?!) This time however, when I stopped the cart to give her the ultimatum of sitting or walking with me, she had her hands on the edges of cart and was pushing herself up on it. So when the cart stopped, her feet weren't fully on the bottom of the cart and she had no control to stop her self and she tumbled...literally, onto the hard floor in the middle of the aisle and landed on her head. SCARIEST.  MOMENT.  OF.  MY.  LIFE.  
It was probably half of a second, but felt like an eternity watching her fall and knowing I couldn't do anything about it in time. She cried, well, screamed of course for a while. We headed right to urgent care because even though she seemed OK after the crying was done, I wasn't about to mess around with a head injury.

Here's the little bruiser with her red bump. The picture doesn't do it justice.

She was happy and her usual self and didn't have any of the typical signs of other problems that can be associated with head trauma (THANK GOD!) The Dr. said she probably would be a little more tired and have a very mild concussion, but he said kids her age are like 'plastic'! Not the word I would have thought of, but he said she'd be fine. And today she really is! Her bump is hardly even noticeable. So lesson learned- I guess I have to cave into the hideous-and-hard-to-steer car shopping carts to ensure that she is a safe rider:) And I'll probably be a little less adventurous to run so many errands with both girls from now on! I've had my 'horrible parent' feeling for a lifetime!

I promise the blog is uphill from here:)

I've been taunting Danika with one of her favorite games, Zingo, the last few weeks. It has been sitting on the bathroom counter and when she made her 1st poop in the potty she could open it!
Well, it happened! Not once, but twice this week. We'll take it:)
Otherwise, she is pretty much completely potty trained. We are still in the phase of telling her when to go sit on the potty, but she's holding it longer and accidents are few and far between!

So proud!


Danika loves to read to Haddie...Haddie isn't always a fan of bonding with her sister, but soon enough:)




Growing like a weed! What happened to that 'newborn' phase? Long gone! 



We also did some visiting this past week/weekend. We spent a day with Granny and Great-Grams. Haddie was a bit fussy and even I couldn't get her calmed down, but leave it to the Grandma to have the right touch:)

We also had a playdate and Danika LOVED playing dress-up with her friend Avaya. She is SO into dancing, singing, and dressing up these days!


On Thursday evening we went to the Sounds Like Summer concert at Phoenix park and when we came home about 8pm we found a nasty beehive had been created on the garage door! I had used that door earlier in the day to get the jogging stroller out for a run so between 11am-8pm the bees had formed a complete hive- They don't call them busy bee's for nothin'! Check these pics out...

After Daren had already destroyed half of it with some spray...

This was only a small portion of the bees...there had to have been a couple hundred! Crazy (and scary) Hopefully they don't come back. 


I have had a huge itch lately to work on a lot of projects around the house lately, after realizing just how boring our house is and how we need more decorating. 1st thing on my DIY list was to make curtains for Danika's room. I've been struggling to find a pattern I like for bedding and/or curtains, but I finally spotted one that tied in all the colors of her room perfectly...
Here's the boring before picture... 

and of course the "in progress" picture of Haddie hanging out and kicking her toy and  Danika making a complete mess of the living room while I attempted to work on the curtains (this project took WAY longer than it should have, thanks to 2 kiddos:)


And finally, complete! 

Danika woke up from nap today crying because it was SO dark in there she couldn't see to get to the door...that's what I call 'black-out' lining:) 

And I even had a little bit of leftover fabric to make this peanut an accent pillow:) 


That's all for now...here's hoping for a much less exciting eventful week ahead!

Love,
Jamie and the rest of the Dummer clan


No comments:

Post a Comment